Lanka Education and Research Network (LEARN) is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) of Sri Lanka. A National Research and Education Network (NREN) is a specialized Internet Service Provider (ISP) dedicated to support the needs of the research and education communities within a country, and it is distinguished by support for a high-speed backbone network, often offering dedicated channels for individual research projects, in addition to providing many other services.
LEARN currently interconnects the University Grants Commission (UGC), the Ministry of Education, all the UGC funded State Universities, many public universities under other ministries, and several national research institutions, including the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Arthur C Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies.
Applications are hereby invited from citizens of Sri Lanka for the Data Engineer position in our office located at the University of Peradeniya. This position will initially be offered as a one-year Contract basis position with the possibility of permanency based on performance.
The Associate Data Engineer is responsible for expanding and optimizing LEARN’s data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection from different channels. The candidate must be self-driven and should cater to the data needs of LEARN, while optimizing the company’s data architecture to support its requirements.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and other ‘big data’ technologies (e.g., NoSQL, AWS, etc.).
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer utilization and trends, operational efficiency, and other key performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure.
- Create data tools for team members that assist them in building and optimizing our services.
- Work with the team members to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- In addition to these responsibilities, the Data Engineer will have to take up the job roles of Software Engineer, Database Architect, and Data Analyst, as necessary to the main job role.
Qualification and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering / Telecommunication Engineering / Physical Science with Statistics/ Computer Science/ Mathematics or a related discipline.
Strong knowledge in Programming Languages (Java, Python), SQL, NoSQL, Basic Data Serialization formats (CSV, JSON, XML), Professional communication skills (written + verbal) and experience in REST API.
Proven experience as a Data Engineer, and in supporting and working with cross-functional teams will be an added advantage.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive compensation package commensurate with industry standards and qualifications.
- Both local and overseas trainings/workshops
- Financial support to obtain necessary certification and for professional development
- Structured career path within the organization
If you satisfy the qualifications outlined above and are attracted to this opportunity, kindly complete the form below by providing the necessary details.
*All the documents should be in the PDF format and renamed accordingly. The resume should be renamed to the name of the applicant.
*Applications which do not comply with the above instructions will not be considered.
Closing Date: 18th October 2023